Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Udoh plays down scoring target

Enyimba striker Mfon Udoh has assumed the leading scorer position in the Glo Premier League but is calm about making any particular target for this season.
Last season Udoh scored 23 league goals to emerge top scorer in the Nigerian top flight and set a record for the most goals scored by an individual in a single season.
Udoh told supersport.com that he is concentrating on improving his game and is not under any pressure to surpass his 23-goal record of last season.
The former Akwa United forward also said he is taking each match as they come for the People's Elephant, and does not believe the two-time African champions are all about him as there are other "top players in the team".
"I am not under pressure to score goals or even score more than what I got last season. I really do appreciate people saying I can score more than 23 goals and same for those who say I cannot repeat the same feat. They have all encouraged me to put in my best, but the success of the team is what I put first because I am just one player out of the top players in the team.
"I am only focused on improving my all-round performance week in, week out, and I am thankful that I have got teammates and coaches who have been very supportive on and off the pitch because Enyimba is not about me or a single player. We win and lose together but it is good we have bounced back from our slow start.
"For me, I am only going to take each game as they come this season rather than put pressure on myself about scoring in every match. If the goals come, why not? And if not, and the team wins, that is most important," Udoh, who was close to moving to joining Egyptian club, Ismaily, in January, told supersport.com.
The striker also waved aside talks of moving abroad this year and said he is concentrating on his time in the Glo Premier League with Enyimba.
"For now I am focused on playing for Enyimba and doing my best. The issue of my future at the club is something that will come up later. Of course as a footballer you want to play in one of the best leagues in the world, but for now I am here and will make good use of my time till that time comes to move abroad," explained the Enyimba striker.
Udoh currently leads the goalscorers' chart in the Nigerian premier division with four goals, representing 67 percent of the total goals scored by Enyimba so far this season.
The Enyimba man has also taken his total career goals in the Glo Premier League to 42.

No comments:

Post a Comment

drop your comment about your football hero, their fashion style, like who dresses most, who drink most ,who hang out most like going to club , who plays with woman most and so on