Tuesday, March 24, 2015

My heart beats for Nigeria - Otigba

Kenneth Otigba declared his wish to play for Nigeria despite playing for Hungary at youth level and he exclusively tells supersport.comwhy his heart beats for Nigeria as Calvin Emeka Onwuka caught up with him in Heerenveen, Holland.
Last year, as the Nigerian Super Eagles prepared for the world cup in Brazil l or actually just after the qualification was ensured I was at a press conference where a few names were reeled out to coach Stephen Keshi and asked if these players could break into his squad for Brazil. Amongst those names were Leon Balogun then of Fortuna Dusseldorf in Germany and Kenneth Otigba at Heerenveen in Holland. Balogun did eventually get a call up but injury denied him a place in the final squad for South America.
Otigba on the other hand remained elusive and had even played for Hungary at various youth levels many attempts by this reporter to get an interview never yielded results. So most surprising, last week I got text from Otigba asking that I ring him when I could. I did and we set up a meeting at his club in Heerenveen 2 hours outside Amsterdam by train.
We met just after training exchanged greetings but he had to have lunch with the rest of the team while I got myself comfortable. He looked a proper centre-back in his very imposing physique but a boyish smile that was quite welcoming. <\p>
Otigba was born in Kaduna, northern Nigeria to Clara and Patrick "my mum had lived in Nigeria for 17 years before I was born but when I was about 4 and half years she took me to Hungary as she was leaving Nigeria" He informed on his return as we sat down for the interview. So when did he know he will be a professional footballer I asked Otigba. "From when I was around 7 years old I was only after football; I was always playing football and when not playing I will be watching. One day I said to my mother that I have to be a professional footballer, that my dream is to have that career"<\p>
To be able to make this career would require a lot of sacrifice so at the age of 14 Otigba left Hungary for Holland to join Heerenveen snubbing Liverpool in the process. Liverpool? "Yes, I was at the club for two weeks during Rafa Benitez reign as manager, then also another two weeks at Heerenveen at the end I had a choice to make between both clubs. My agent and I spoke and we decided that I will progress more as a footballer playing in Holland. It was not even a hard decision and one I have never regretted". He says this with that comfortable smile and twinkle in his eyes to confirm that he means it.
How did you cope leaving the comfort of your mum's protection and cooking at such a young age "it was very difficult. I was home sick a lot and I missed my mum and my friends and also I had to start learning a new language. It helped that I still spoke english and quite a lot of people spoke the language too but I still called home a lot. Living alone that first year was difficult but after I learnt the language things got better and better"
It takes determination and a fierce will to succeed to get young boys to get through those first few years away from and make a success of their careers. "As soon as I arrived at Heerenveen I was prepared to succeed. My agent - who is like a big brother to me - assured me that as long I am able to get through those hard few months I will be fine. It also panned out that way".
What was very clear as I interacted with Otigba was that he was clearly unaware of the clamour for him to play for Nigeria. Would he like to play for Nigeria I asked him. He laughed very loud and had the look of "what a stupid question" on his face. "In my career I always have goals that I set myself: I planned to play in the Heerenveen first team, I hope to play in the English Premier League one day and I will do anything to wear even for one match the green jersey of the Super Eagles". He says these with such determination, such sincerity that I asked but you played for the age group teams of Hungary? "Yes but at that time it was just about playing a different level of football"
Otigba had to make this decision now and make it quickly. "I got a letter of invitation for a full cap for Hungary but I knew within my heart that I was not going to be happy playing for Hungary. I spoke to my mum, my other family members and my agent about this. All of them told me to follow my heart. My heart is for the Super Eagles of Nigeria".
Last year, Otigba's team mate then Uche Nwofor played for Nigeria and was even at the World Cup so why did he not drag you along "he used to tell me a lot about the fun of playing for Nigeria and how great it will be if I came along but as a young player in the Super Eagles he could not influence anything".
Otigba recaps the feelings of seeing his team mate against Argentina at the World Cup "I was so excited watching John playing against Argentina. It was like wow there is my team mate out there. It was great. When he got back after the tournament he gave me Super Eagles kit which I wore and still wear now"
Some Hungarians will not like this I put it to him. "Frankly those who don't like it I understand. I also know they are not important to me. Those people important to me have advised me to follow my heart and am fine with that"
Otigba names Man City of England skipper Vincent Kompany as his hero "I love watching Kompany. He is a determined defender and seems to enjoy defending so I watch him a lot. He wins his personal duels, gets the ball and then releases it to the midfielders to make the play. Those are the things I like to do".
When he was younger though his hero used to be Arsenal skipper and legend Patrick Vieira. "In the youth teams I was a defensive midfielder and modelled my game along the lines of Vieira. Later my coaches here at Heerenveen decided I was better as a centre-back and I just refocused my game to the position.
Otigba remembers his debut for Heerenveen as a 20 year old against Utrecht and remembers coming on as a sub, made a mistake that led to the concession of a goal. "I learnt a lot that day. My coach taught me that in the first team, physicality was not as important as using your brain and thinking ahead of the striker. They helped me dwell on that mistake and I have learnt from it". He has come a long way from that day and is one of the rocks in the team's defence. They rate him so highly that while we were getting ready for the interview at the club someone asked him if he was signing for Barcelona. "My relationship with the club is very good and we agreed that should I get a better offer to move they will not stop me at all. I love it here at Heerenveen, playing football and love the city".
He is a very confident young man is Kenneth Otigba. He has been tutored in that way the Dutch seem very good at with young players. He is also a player with a vision of what he wants for his career. It will not surprise to see him playing for Nigeria and playing in the English Premier League.

No comments:

Post a Comment

drop your comment about your football hero, their fashion style, like who dresses most, who drink most ,who hang out most like going to club , who plays with woman most and so on